Sunday, January 13, 2008


Camera Phone
Originally uploaded by Annie Ominous

M has discovered an interest in photography. Saturday afternoon she picked up my phone and said she wanted to take pictures. I explained in simple terms how to use the camera function and let her wander around for a bit taking snapshots of the dogs, the floor, her finger, and some other unidentified objects.

A while later I was photographing Legos bathed in sunlight (don't ask) and she found my phone again. I got this picture of her in action and it makes me giddy. I know it's unfair for a parent to impose their interests on their offspring, but I would love for her to take photographs.

I did a little research online and bought her a VTech Kidizoom digital camera today. When she woke up this morning, one of the first things she asked me for was my phone so she could take pictures. She kept this up all day. And while I don't mind letting her use my phone, it would be nice for her to have her own camera. At one point in the day she put some Legos on the table and pointed the phone at them and asked me to get my camera and take pictures too. M asking me to take pictures with her almost made me cry.

These are the things that make up for the absolute monster of a two-year old she is a lot of the time. I don't mean that she's rotten, but that whole "terrible twos" myth is frighteningly true. She's a great girl; very sharp, funny and sweet, but HOLY CHRIST can the kid be a demon. Her newfound relationship with photography helps remind me why being a Mom is really special and how much fun it is watching her grow and discover the world.

No comments: